Amazing Selection: we are a ‘Mohawk Colour Centre Elite’ dealer
Tips for Choosing YOUR Perfect Carpet
After you answer the first few questions, you can begin looking at the styles of carpet that interest you. We can introduce you to the newest fibers and styles. For example have you felt Smartstrand yet? It is the softest, most durable, virtually stain-proof fiber on the market and it includes a full pet warranty. Or How about a latex free carpet, introducing the new air.o. With the heavy felt attached pad this carpet is hypoallergenic, odour and VOC free!
Carpet makes for a cleaner breathing environment as it actually acts as an airfilter by trapping and holding the dust until it is released to the vacuum. Soft, warm, clean and affordable... three great reasons to take another look at carpet for your home.
With thousands of yards of carpet in stock everyday we have a style and price to fit every taste and budget!
Carpet StylesUnderstanding a few simple basics about carpet construction will help you make the right choice for your lifestyle and budget.
PatternsFormal to Contemporary
Textured PlushWhole House Carpet
Plush (Saxony)Formal Elegance
BerberNatural and Casual
Frieze (Shag)Casual Comfort
FibersA description of common carpet fibers
Olefin or Polypropylene
In this age of do-it-yourself home improvement projects, installing carpet requires a specialized skill. We offer quality experienced installation that ensure your satisfaction with the product for years to come.
At the store
At the time of your purchase, ask your flooring retailer if they have professional installers on staff. If not, ask them to recommend an independent installer for your area. In most cases, the retailer will handle all the details of arranging the installation. Be sure to ask about additional fees, such as removal and disposal of old flooring, and moving larger furniture pieces.
Preparing for the installation
Aside from the furniture, you can make sure things go smoothly on installation day by taking care of the following beforehand:
- Remove all breakable items, like vases, lamps, collectibles, and heirlooms
- Detach and store wiring from TVs, VCR/DVD Players, stereos, and computers
- Clear desktops, tabletops, bookshelves, tops of dressers and closet floors
- Remove all sheets, blankets and bedspreads from beds
Before the installers arrive, vacuum the old carpet to minimize the airborne dust and particles.
During the installation
Your installers will arrive with the knowledge, tools and supplies to lay your new carpet. However, they will need an area to store their electrical tools and access to electrical power outlets for their tools.
Also, vacuum the subfloor after the old flooring and cushion has been pulled up and before the new floor is installed to minimize dirt and dust.
Bear in mind that your new floor coverings need to be installed over a structurally sound subfloor. Any damage that has been done by insects, water, or other problems should be repaired prior to carpet installation.
After the installation
In the months following installation, you may notice some shedding or sprouting. This is normal and will not affect the carpet’s life or beauty in any way. Shedding is when loose fibers become undone from carpets made with staple yarn. Most yarns are now continuous fiber BCF so this problem is becoming far less frequent however, this is normal and subsides within a short time with vacuuming. Sprouting is when a single tuft extends beyond the carpet surface, usually along walls or at seams. Simply clip it off; do not pull.
Care and Maintenance
Maintaining Your Carpet’s Beauty
- The best way to ensure long–lasting beauty, comfort and durability in your carpet is to vacuum it regularly, as it prevents soil from becoming embedded in the carpet’s pile.
- Depending on the type of carpet you have, you’ll want to use a vacuum with a rotating brush, a beater bar or for berber (looped pile) suction only.
- When vacuuming high pile or premium soft carpets look for the following features that will allow you to easily maintain your carpet:
- Adjustable Height – Use the highest setting where appropriate
- Efficient Airflow – Avoid vacuums with very concentrated or sealed suction
- Large Wheels allow the appliance to glide easily across the carpet
- Consider professional cleaning every 12–18 months, depending on traffic and other use factors, frequency of vacuuming and whether the carpet is a light or dark colour. Please note that regular professional cleanings are required to maintain your warranty with all manufacturers. Come in or call the store for our recommended cleaning company
- To remove a dent caused by heavy furniture, stroke carpet with the edges of a coin. You can also use a hair dryer or a steam iron to gently raise the dented area while you tug upward on the tufts. CAUTION: DO NOT LET THE IRON TOUCH THE CARPET..
- If a flooding occurs from a burst pipe, washing machine overflow or other leak, the carpet needs to be dried, front and back, by a professional cleaner with the proper equipment.
- This link can provide additional tips on maintaining the beauty of your carpet http://www.carpet-rug.org.